An Investigation of the Effect of Pyrolytic Liquid Obtained From Waste Tire on the Corrosion Behaviours of MgO-C Refractories
In this study, corrosion behaviours of MgO-C refractories by incorporating different binders as phenolic resin and pyrolytic liquid obtained by waste tire pyrolysis were investigated. Moreover, the effect of porosity on the corrosion resistance of those refractories according to types of binders was examined. The microstructures of corroded MgO-C refractories were characterized by Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analyser (EDX). Experimental studies showed that refractories produced by the use of pyrolytic liquid had higher amount of porosity due to its lower binder effect and lower corrosion resistance than that of refractories produced by incorporation of phenolic resin as a binder.
Waste tire; Pyrolytic liquid; Binder; MgO-C refractory; Corrosion.
2. Cho G, Kim E, Li J, Lee J, Jung Y, Byeun Y, Jo C. Improvement of oxidation resistance in graphite for MgO–C refractory through surface modification. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 24(1) (2014) 119-124.
3. Sadh P.R, Lodha R, Singh K, Singh V. Exfoliated Graphite Fortified MgO-C Refractories. International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology (IJRASET) 4 (IX) (2016) 81-89.
4. Gokce A.S, Gurcan C, Ozgen S, Aydın S. The Effect of Antioxidants on the Oxidation Behaviour of Magnesia Carbon Refractory Bricks. Ceramics International 34 (2) (2008) 323-330.
5. Aksoy Bahtli T, Aksel C, Kavas T. Corrosion behavior of MgO-MgAl2O4-FeAl2O4 composite refractory materials. Journal of Australian Ceramic Society 53(1) (2017) 33-40.
6. European tyre and rubber manufacturers association (2015) End-of-life Tyre Report (Belgium:Brussels) http://www.etrma.org/uploads/Modules/Documentsmanger/elt-report-v9a---final.pdf (Accessed 19 December 2017)
7. Rubber manufacturers association (2016) 2015 US scrap tire management summary (WashingtonDC, USA). http://rma.org/sites/default/files/RMA_scraptire_summ_2015.pdf (Accessed 21 December 2017)
8. Maroufi S, Mayyas M, Sahajwalla V. Nano-carbons from waste tyre rubber: An insight into structure and morphology. Waste Management 69 (2017) 110-116.
9. Kordoghli S, Paraschiv M, Tazerout M, Khiari B, Zagrouba F. Novel catalytic systems for waste tires pyrolysis: optimization of gas fraction. Journal of Energy Resources Technology 139 (2016).
10. Williams P T. Pyrolysis of waste tyres: a review. Waste Management 33(8) (2013) 1714-1728.
11. Zhang J, Mei G, Xie Z, Zhao S. Firing mechanism of oxide-carbon refractories with phenolic resin binder. Ceramics International 44 (2018) 5594–5600.
12. Imagej program. Available: http://imagej.net [Date of Access: 21.09.2017]
13. Zhang S, Lee W.E. Influence of additives on corrosion resistance and corroded microstructures of MgO–C refractories. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 21 (2001) 2393-2405.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.