Combinations of Interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphisms with -1082A, -819T, -592A minor allele are associated with sinonasal polyposis
IL-10 gene in sinonasal polyposis
Sinonasal polyposis (SP) is an inflammatory disease involving multiple etiologies and pathogenesis. The disarray of Interleukin (IL)-10 is associated with a rised immunopathological response during the progression of many autoimmune diseases as well as the response to infection. We studied the possible role of the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in IL-10 gene and their genotypic combinations in the SP pathogenesis. The IL-10’s promoter was genotyped in 200 participants (100 patients and 100 controls). The sites that were encompassed -1082, -819, and -592 SNP regions of extracted DNAs were analyzed by sequencing for polymorphisms. The IL-10 gene promoter polymorphisms with -1082A, -819T, -592A minor alleles, their heterozygotes and homozygotes mutant genotypes had signiﬁcantly higher risks for SP (P˂ 0.05). Also, haplotype analysis demonstrated that the GTC, ACC, and GCA haplotypes in IL-10 were high-risk of SP but ATA was only in controls (P= 0.007). Also the multifactor dimensionality reduction (MDR) analysis indicated that the IL-10-1082_-819 and -1082_-819_-592 were the best predictive models for SP with 66.6% and 69% accuracy, respectively. IL-10 genotypic variations and their combinations are linked with a high-risk for the SP development in the Turkish population. The IL-10 genetic polymorphisms may lend to SP by altering the arrangement of the gene expression, affecting the severity of the inflammatory response.
Sinonasal polyposis; IL-10 gene; Single nucleotide polymorphisms; Interaction; Multifactor dimensionality reduction
2. Hulse KE, Stevens WW, Tan BK, Schleimer RP. Pathogenesis of nasal polyposis. Clinical and Experimental Allergy 45 (2015) 328-346.
3. Riechelmann H, Europäischen Akademie für Allergie und Klinische Immunologie (EAACI) und der European Rhinologic Society (ERS). [Chronic Rhinosinusitis - EPOS 2012 Part I].Laryngorhinootologie 92 (2013) 193-201; quiz 202-3.
4. Kato A. Immunopathology of chronic rhinosinusitis. Allergology International 64 (2015) 121-130.
5. Iyer SS, Cheng G. Role of interleukin 10 transcriptional regulation in inflammation and autoimmune disease. Critical Reviews In Immunology 32 (2012) 23-63.
6. Ouyang W, Rutz S, Crellin NK, Valdez PA, Hymowitz SG. Regulation and functions of the IL-10 family of cytokines in inflammation and disease. Annual Review of Immunology 29 (2011) 71-109.
7. Ozkara S, Keles E, Ilhan N, Gungor H, Kaygusuz I, Alpay HC. The relationship between Th1/Th2 balance and 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) in patients with nasal polyposis. European Archives of Otorinolaryngology 269 (2012) 2519-2524.
8. Shen Y, Hu GH, Kang HY, Tang XY, Hong SL. Allergen induced Treg response in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) of patients with nasal polyposis. Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology 32 (2014) 300-307.
9. Kim DW, Eun KM, Jin HR, Cho SH, Kim DK. Prolonged allergen exposure is associated with increased thymic stromal lymphopoietin expression and Th2-skewing in mouse models of chronic rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope 126 (2016) E265-72.
10. Okano M, Fujiwara T, Kariya S, Higaki T, Haruna T, Matsushita O, Noda Y, Makihara S, Kanai K, Noyama Y, Taniguchi M, Nishizaki K. Cellular responses to Staphylococcus aureus alpha-toxin in chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps. Allergology International 63 (2014) 563-573.
11. Xu J, Han R, Kim DW, Mo JH, Jin Y, Rha KS, Kim YM. Correction: Role of Interleukin-10 on Nasal Polypogenesis in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps. PLoS One 11 (2016) e0161013.
12. Trifunović J, Miller L, Debeljak Ž, Horvat V. Pathologic patterns of interleukin 10 expression- a review. Zagre: Croatian Society for Medical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine 25 (2015) 36-48.
13. Özdaş S, Özdaş T, Acar M, Erbek SS, Köseoğlu S, Göktürk G, Izbirak A. Association of Interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphisms with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Breath 20 (2016) 855-866.
14. Lund VJ, Mackay IS. Staging in rhinosinusitus. Rhinology 31 (1993) 183–184.
15. Lildholdt T, Rundcrantz H, Lindqvist N. Efficacy of topical corticosteroid powder for nasal polyps: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of budesonide. Clin Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences 20 (1995) 26-30.
16. Lee WC. Testing for Sufficient-Cause Gene-Environment Interactions Under the Assumptions of Independence and Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium. American Journal of Epidemiology 182 (2015) 9-16.
17. Moradi MT, Khazaei M, Khazaei M. The effect of catalase C262T gene polymorphism in susceptibility to ovarian cancer in Kermanshah province, Western Iran. Journal of Cases in Obstetrics & Gynecology 8 (2018) 1-5.
18. Moore JH, Andrews PC. Epistasis analysis using multifactor dimensionality reduction. Methods in Molecular Biology 1253 (2015) 301-314.
19. Malagutti N, Stomeo F, Pelucchi S, Ronchin R, Ceccon M, Malacrida G, Ciorba A, Pastore A, Borin M, Rizzo R. Analysis of Il-10 gene sequence in patients with sinonasal polyposis. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology 28 (2015) 434-439.
20. Zhang ML, Ni PH, Cai CP, Chen NJ, Wang SL. Association of susceptibility to chronic rhinosinusitis with genetic polymorphisms of IL-4 and IL-10. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 47 (2012) 212-217.
21. Fidancı ID, Zülfikar B, Kavaklı K, Ar MC, Kılınç Y, Başlar Z, Cağlayan SH A polymorphism in the IL-5 gene is associated with inhibitor development in severe hemophilia A patients. Turkish Journal of Hematology 31 (2014) 17–24.
22. Nursal AF, Pehlivan M, Sahin HH, Pehlivan S. The Associations of IL-6, IFN-γ, TNF-α, IL-10, and TGF-β1 Functional Variants with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Turkish Patients. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers 20 (2016) 544-551.
23. DiStefano JK, Kingsley CB. Identification of Disease Susceptibility Alleles in the Next Generation Sequencing Era. Methods in Molecular Biology 1706 (2018) 3-16.
24. Reynard MP, Turner D, Navarrete CV. Allele frequencies of polymorphisms of the tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-10, interferon-gamma and interleukin-2 genes in a North European Caucasoid group from the UK. European Journal of Immunogenetics 27 (2000) 241-249.
25. Kalish RB, Vardhana S, Gupta M, Perni SC, Witkin SS. Interleukin-4 and -10 gene polymorphisms and spontaneous preterm birth in multifetal gestations. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 190 (2004) 702-706.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.