Rehabilitation of Francis Turbines of Power Plants with Computational Methods
Rehabilitation of existing hydroelectric power plants (HEPP) by redesigning the hydraulic turbines is usually more elaborate than designing a tailor-made turbine for a new plant. Some of the parts are buried and the space is limited with the size of the old turbine; therefore, this increases the number of constraints imposed on the design. This article presents a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) based rehabilitation procedure involving the state of the art redesign of the turbine of a hydroelectric power plant for better performance at design and off-design conditions of several head and flow rates. Runner and guide vanes of the Francis turbine are designed per the design head and flow rates available for the turbine at the site. The simulations for the designed parts are performed both separately and using all turbine parts as full turbine analyses. Both the design and off-design conditions are simulated for the newly designed and existing turbines for comparison purposes. Cavitation performance of the new design is also determined. The proposed methodology is applicable to any Francis type turbine and any HEPP that needs rehabilitation.
Francis turbine, Rehabilitation, Efficiency, Runner, Guide vane
2. Beatove SL, Ruiz GM, Arboleda, BQ, Bustamante OS. CFD: Numerical simulations of Francis turbines. Rev. Fac. Ing Univ. Antioquia, 51 (2010) 31-40.
3. Qian ZD, Yang J.D, Huai WX. Numerical simulation and analysis of pressure pulsation in Francis hydraulic turbine with air admission. Journal of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B 9 (2007) 4 67-472.
4. Su WT, Li FC, Li BX, Wei XZ, Zhao Y. Assessment of LES performance in simulating complex 3D flows in turbo-machines. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 6(3) (2012) 356–365.
5. Patel K, Desai J, Chauhan V, Charnia S. Development of Francis turbine using Computational Fluid Dynamics. 11st Asian International Conference on Fluid Machinery and 3rd Fluid Power Technology Exhibition, 2011.
6. Kaniecki M, Lojek A, Hajdarowicz M. Rehabilitation of medium-head hydropower plants with exploited Twin-Francis Turbines, Congress SHP, 2014.
7. Akin H, Aytac Z, Ayancik F, Ozkaya E, Arioz E, Celebioglu K, Aradag, S. A CFD aided hydraulic turbine design methodology applied to Francis turbines. IEEE 4th International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives (POWERENG), 2013.
8. Gohil PP, Saini RP. CFD: Numerical analysis and performance prediction in Francis turbine. IEEE 1st International Conference on Non-Conventional Energy (ICONCE), 2014.
9. Shukla MK, Jain R, Prasad V, Shujla SN. CFD Analysis of 3-D Flow for Francis Turbine, MIT International Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 1 (2011) 93-100.
10. Bornard L, Debeissat F, Labrecque Y, Sabourin M, Tomas L. Turbine hydraulic assessment on optimization in rehabilitation projects. IOP conference series: Earth and Enviromental Science, 22 (2014).
11. Xi-de L, Yuan H. Numerical simulation-driven hydrodynamic optimization for rehabilitation and upgrading of hydro turbines. Power and Energy Engineering Conference, Asia-Pacific, 2009.
12. Michel B, Kunz T. Rehabilitation of hydro generating units. Power Russia Conference, Moscow, Russia, 2006.
13. Sepetci, G, Cetinturk H, Ozkan SY, Yuksel O, Karadeniz C, Celebioglu K, Tascioglu Y, Aradag S. Conceptual design of a hydroelectric power plant for a rehabilitation project. HEFAT 2016 conference, Malaga, Spain, 2016.
14. Ansys CFX Users’s Manual v16, 2016.
15. Keck H, Sick M. Thirty years of numerical flow simulation of Francis Turbines. Rev. Fac. Ing. Univ. Antioquia, 51 (2010) 34-33.
16. Lenarcic M, Eichhorn M, Schoder SJ, Bauer C. Numerical investigation of a high head Francis turbine under steady operating conditions using foam-extend, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2015.
17. Tonello N, Eude Y, Meux BL, Ferrand M. Frozen Rotor and Sliding Mesh Models Applied to the 3D Simulation of the Francis-99 Tokke Turbine with Code_Saturne, IOP Conf. Series: Journal of Physics: Conf. Series, 2017.
18. Laouari A, Ghenaiet A. Simulations of Steady Cavitating Flow in a Small Francis Turbine, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2016.
19. Kapoor H. Open Source Mesh Generation and CFD Simulations for Francis Turbine. MSc Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 2014.
20. Ayli E, Celebioglu K, Aradag S. Determination and generalization of the effects of design parameters on Francis turbine runner performance. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 10 (1) (2016) 547-566.
21. Ayli E, Kaplan A, Cetinturk H, Kavurmaci B, Demirel G, Celebioglu K, Aradag S. CFD analysis of 3D flow for 1.4 MW Francis turbine and model turbine manufacturing. 35th Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Boston, MA, USA, 2015.
22. Michel B, Couston M, Francois M. Hydro turbines rehabilitationperformance. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 10 (1) (2016) 547-566.
23. Billda, J T, Holt BG. Three Gorges Project: Review of GE Energy Norwy’s hydraulic design. Symposium on Hydraulic Machinery and Systems, 20th IAHR Symposium, Charlotte, NC, USA, 2010.
24. Brekke H. Design, performance and maintenance of Francis turbines. Global Journal of Researches in Engineering, Mechanical and Mechanics Engineering, 13 (5) (2013).
25. Krivchenko GI. Hydraulic machines: turbines and pumps. Boca Raton, FL: Lewis publishers, 1994.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.