Cationic Dye Degradation by means of an Efficient Photocatalyst promoted by Aluminum Oxide
A visible active magnetically separable two component MgFe2O4-Al2O3/Ag3VO4 photocatalyst was prepared in order to improve the catalytic activity of Ag3VO4 by utilizing Al2O3 (NPs Al2O3) adsorbent. Catalyst was characterized by using Fourier transform Infrared spectrometer (FTIR). Photocatalytic activity of MgFe2O4-Al2O3/Ag3VO4 was measured by methylene blue (MB) degradation under visible light illumination emitted from 105 W tungsten light bulb. UV-vis spectrophotometer was employed to follow and identify the MB degradation and kinetics. Results suggested a first order kinetic model for the degradation having rate constant k, 0.03252 min-1. The half-life of catalytic degradation was found as 21.3 min. The photocatalytic activity of the neat Ag3VO4 was also measured and compared with the MgFe2O4-Al2O3/Ag3VO4. It was observed that rate constant of the degradation obtained with Ag3VO4 was 0.01577 min-1 and its half life 43.9 min. This revealed that an approximately twofold increase attained by using efficient nano Al2O3 adsorbent. At the end of the reaction catalyst particles were removed easily from the aqueous solution by a magnet.
Visible active photocatalyst; Methylene blue; Magnetic nanoparticle; First order kinetic; Degradation
2. El-Toni AM, Yin S, Sato T, Ghannam T, Al-Hoshan M, Al-Salhi M. Investigation of photocatalytic activity and UV-shielding properties for silica coated titania nanoparticles by solvothermal coating. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 508 (2010) L1–L4.
3. Abbasi A, Ghanbari D, Salavati-Niasari M, Hamadanian M. Photo-degradation of methylene blue: photocatalyst and magnetic investigation of Fe2O3–TiO2 nanoparticles and nanocomposites. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 27 (5) (2016) 4800–4809.
4. Guo M, Qianglong H, Wenjie W, Jie W, Weimin W. Fabrication of BiVO4: Effect of structure and morphology on photocatalytic activity and its methylene blue decomposition mechanism, Journal of Wuhan University of Technology-Materials Science Education 31 (4) (2016) 791–798.
5. Umaporn L, Khatcharin W, Sukon P, Wiyong K, Natda W. InVO4–BiVO4 composite films with enhanced visible light performance for photodegradation of methylene blue. Catalysis Today 278 (2) (2016) 291-302.
6. Cheng L, Kang Y. Bi5O7I/Bi2O3 composite photocatalyst with enhanced visible light photocatalytic activity. Catalyst Communucations 72 (2015) 16-19.
7. Shi S, Gondal MA, Rashid SG, Qi Q, Al-Saadi AA, Yamani ZH. Synthesis of g-C3N4/BiOClxBr1−x hybrid photocatalysts and the photoactivity enhancement driven by visible light. Colloids Surface A: Physicochemical Engineering Aspects 461 (2014) 202–11.
8. Song S, Chenga B, Wu N, Meng A, Cao S, Yu J. Structure effect of graphene on the photocatalytic performance of plasmonic Ag/Ag2CO3-rGO for photocatalytic elimination of pollutants. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 181 (2016) 71–78 .
9. Jin Z, Murakami N, Tsubota T, Ohno T. Complete oxidation of acetaldehyde over a composite photocatalyst of graphitic carbon nitride and tungsten(VI) oxide under visible-light irradiation. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 150–151 (2014) 479–485.
10.Mohsen P. Visible-light photoactive Ag–AgBr/α-Ag3VO4nanostructures prepared in a water-soluble ionic liquid for degradation of wastewater. Applied Nanoscience 6 (2016), 1119–1126.
11.Ming Y, Yilin W, Yan Y, Xu Y, Fangfang Z, Yinqun H, and Weidong S. Synthesis and Characterization of Novel BiVO4/Ag3VO4 Heterojunction with Enhanced Visible-Light-Driven Photocatalytic Degradation of Dyes. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 4 (3) (2016) 757–766.
12. Hui X, Huaming L, Li X, Chundu W, Guangsong S, Yuanguo X, Jinyu C. Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity of Ag3VO4 Loaded with Rare-Earth Elements under Visible-Light Irradiation. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research 48 (24) (2009) 10771–10778.
13. Lei G, Zhonghua L, Jiawen L. Facile synthesis of Ag3VO4/β-AgVO3 nanowires with efficient visible-light photocatalytic activity. RSC Advances 7 (2017) 27515-27521.
14 .Tingting Z, Liying H, Yanhua S, Zhigang C, Haiyan J, Yeping L, Yuanguo X, Qi Z, Hui X, Huaming L. Modification of Ag3VO4 with graphene-like MoS2 for enhanced visible-light photocatalytic property and stability. New Journal of Chemistry 40 (2016) 2168-2177.
15. Ran R, Meng XC, Zhang ZS, Facile preparation of novel graphene oxide-modified Ag2O/Ag3VO4/AgVO3 composites with high photocatalytic activities under visible light irradiation. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 196 (2016)1-15 .
16.Carl A, Allen JB. Improved Photocatalytic Activity and Characterization of Mixed TiO2/SiO2 and TiO2/Al2O3 Materials. Journal of Physical Chemistry B 101(1997) 2611-2616.
17.Iliya A, Maryam M, Nahid R. MgFe2O4 and MgFe2O4/ ZnFe2O4 coated with polyaniline as a magnetically separable photocatalyst for removal of a two dye mixture in aqueous solution. Research on Chemical Intermediates 43 (2017) 4459–4474.
18.Nabiyouni G, Ghanbari D, Ghasemi J, Yousofnejad A. Microwave-assisted Synthesis of MgFe2O4-ZnO Nanocomposite and Its Photocatalyst Investigation in Methyl Orange Degradation. Journal of Nano Structures 5(3) (2015) 289-295.
19.Wang J, Wang P, Cao Y, Chen J, Li W, Shao Y, Zheng Y, Li D. A high efficient photocatalyst Ag3VO4/TiO2/graphene nanocomposite with wide spectral response. Applied Catalysis B. Environmental 136–137 (2013) 94–102.
20. Sheykhan M, Mohammadnejad H, Akbari J, Heydari A. Superparamagnetic magnesium ferrite nanoparticles: a magnetically reusable and clean heterogeneous catalyst. Tetrahedron Letters 53 (2012) 2959–2964.
21.Zhang L, He Y, Ye P, Wu T, Enhanced photodegradation activity of Rhodamine B by MgFe2O4/Ag3VO4 under visible light irradiation. Catal Communications 30 (2013) 14-18.
22. Phaltane AS, Vanalakar SA, Bhat TS, Patil PS, Sartale SD, Kadam LD. Photocatalytic degradation of by hydrothermally synthesized CZTS nanoparticles. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 28 (2017) 8186–8191.
23. Hassena H. Photocatalytic Degradation of by Using Al2O3/Fe2O3 Nano Composite under Visible Light. Modern Chemistry & Applications 4(1) (2016) 1-5.
24. Khataee AR, Fathinia M, Aber S. Kinetic Modeling of Liquid Phase Photocatalysis on Supported TiO2 Nanoparticles in a Rectangular Flat-Plate Photoreactor. Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research 49 (2010) 12358–12364.
25. Jiamei W, Can L, Hong Z, Jianhao Z. Photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue and inactivation of gram-negative bacteria by TiO2 nanoparticles in aqueous suspension. Food Control 34 (2013) 372-377.
26. Yıldıray A, Magnetik özellikli taşıyıcılı nanokatalizörlerin hazırlanması ve karakterizasyonu, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi, İzmir, 2016.
27.Sheykhan M, Mohammadnejad H, Akbari J, Heydari A. Superparamagnetic magnesium ferrite nanoparticles: A magnetically reusable and clean heterogeneous catalyst. Tetrahedron Letters 53 (2012) 2959–2964.
28.Khot VM, Salunkhe AB, Thorat ND, Phadatare MR, Pawar SH. Induction heating studies of combustion synthesized MgFe2O4 nanoparticles for hyperthermia applications. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 332 (2013) 48-51.
29.Hoque SM, Hakim MA, Mamun A, Akhter S, Hasan MT, Paul DP. Study of the bulk magnetic and electrical properties of MgFe2O4 synthesized by chemical method. Materials Sciences and Applications 2 (2011) 1564.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.