Determination of Phase Transformation and Activation Energy in High Temperature Shape Memory TiVAl Alloy
Ti-V-Al alloys are a good candidate for lightweight high temperature shape memory alloys. Due to their excellent mechanical properties with low density, in industrial applications, there are widely used as high temperature shape memory alloys. However, TiVAl alloys have cold workability. Because of this feature, machinability in different forms is quite easy and cheap. In this work, microstructure and phase transformation of Ti-V-Al alloys produced by arc-melting method were investigated. The phase formations, microstructures, martensite-austenite transformation temperatures were characterized using XRD, SEM and DSC. Activation energies of the alloys were calculated by Kissinger and Osawa methods.
High Temperature; Shape memory alloys; Phase transformations; Martensitic transformation; Activation energy
2. Atlı, K.C., Karaman, I., Noebe, R.D., Garg, A., Chulyakov, Y.I., Kireeva, I.V. Shape memory characteristics of Ti49.5Ni25Pd25Sc0.5 high-temperature shape memory alloy after severe plastic deformation. Acta Mater 59 (2011) 4747–4760.
3. Meng, X.L., Cai, W., Wang, L.M., Zheng, Y.F., Zhao, L.C., Zhou, L.M. Microstructure of stress-induced martensite in a Ti–Ni–Hf high temperature shape memory alloy. Scripta Mater 45 (2001) 1177–1182.
4. Zheng, X.H., Sui, J.H., Zhang, X., Yang, Z.Y., Wang, H.B., Tian, X.H., Cai, W. Thermal stability and high-temperature shape memory effect of Ti–Ta–Zr alloy. Scripta Mater 68 (2013) 1008–1011.
5. Ma, Y., Yang, S., Liu, Y., Liu, X. The ductility and shape-memory properties of Ni– Mn–Co–Ga high-temperature shape-memory alloys. Acta Mater 57 (2009) 3232–3241.
6. Kato, H., Stalmans, R., Van Humbeeck, J. Two-way shape memory effect induced by tension training in Cu-13.4Al-4.0Ni (mass%) alloy single crystals. Mater. Trans. 39 (1998) 378-386.
7. Yang, Z.Y., Zheng, X.H., Wu, Y., Cai, W. Martensitic transformation and shape memory behavior of Ti-V-Al-Fe lightweight shape memory alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compound, 680 (2016) 462-466.
8. Yang, Z.Y., Zheng, X.H., Cai, W. Martensitic transformation and shape memory effect of Ti–V–Al lightweight high-temperature shape memory alloys. Scripta Materialia 99 (2015) 97–100.
9. Kok M., Yakıncı ZD., Aydogdu A., Aydogdu Y. Thermal and magnetic properties of Ni51Mn28.5Ga19.5B magnetic-shape-memory alloy. J Therm Anal Calorim 115 (2014) Fig 7. Determination of EA for Ti-15V-4Al alloy using a) Kissinger and b) Osawa methods.
10.Kissinger, H. E. Reaction Kinetics in Differential Thermal Analysis. Analytical Chemistry. 29 No. 11, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, pp. 1702-1706, 1957.
11.Ozawa, T. A new method of analyzing thermogravimetric data. Chem. Soc. Jpn 38 (11) (1965) 1881-1886.
12. Cui, Y., Li Y., Luo K., Xu H. Microstructure and shape memory effect of Ti–20Zr–10Nb alloy. Mat. Sci. Eng. A. 527 (2010) 652-656.
13. Ma, L.W., Cheng, H.S., Chung, C.Y., Yuan, B. Effect of heat treatment time on microstructure and mechanical properties of Ti–19Nb–9Zr (at%) shape memory alloy. Materials Science & Engineering A 561 (2013) 427–433.
14 .Zheng XH,Sui JH, Zhang X, Tian XH, Cai W. Effect of Y addition on the martensitic transformation and shape memory effect of Ti-Ta high-temperature shape memory alloy.Journal of Alloys and Compounds 539 (2012) 144-147.
15. Takahashi, E., Sakurai, T., Watanabe, S., Masahashi, N., Hanada, S. Effect of heat treatment and Sn content on superelasticity in biocompatible TiNbSn alloy. Mater. Trans. 43 (12) (2002) 2978–2983.
16.Acar E. Dynamic mechanical response of a Ni45.7Ti29.3Hf20Pd5 alloy. Materials Science and Engineering :A (2015) 633 169-175.
17.Fang, H., Wong, B., Bai, Y. Kinetic modeling of thermophysical properties of shape memory alloys during phase transformation. Construction and Building Materials 131 (2017) 146-155.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.