Effect of Different Acid Components on Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes
In this study, interactions of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) samples withHydrochloric acid (HCl), Nitric acid (HNO3), Aqua regia [(AR)=HCl: HNO3 (3:1)] a nd Reverse aqua regia, [(R AR)=HCl: HNO3 (1:3)] acid and acid mixtures were investigated. Changes in the structure of the samples were analyzed by Fourier transform infrared spec-troscopy (FT-IR) and Raman spectroscopy. In addition, the adsorption rates of the acid solutions of the samples were determined. The MWCNTs material has been found to exhibit a high adsorption rate (%34.70) for the R AR mixture. The same mixture caused the highest defect formation in the structure (%25). The AR mixture significantly reduced the number of defects in the sample (%63). According to the purposes of industrial and technological applications, acid and acid mixtures can be used to purify carbon-based structures and to extend the surface area by adding functional groups to the structure.
MWCNTs, Defect formation, Adsorption rate, Acid interaction, Purification, Surface extending.
2. Špitalský Z, Aggelopoulos C, Tsoukleri G, Tsakiroglou C, Parthenios J, Georga S, Krontiras C, Tasis D, Papagelis K, Galiotis C. The effect of oxidation treatment on the properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube thin films. Materials Science and Engineering: B 165(3) (2009) 135-138.
3. Saleh TA. The influence of treatment temperature on the acidity of MWCNT oxidized by HNO3 or a mixture of HNO3/H2SO4. Applied Surface Science 257(17) (2011) 7746-7751.
4. Kruusenberg I, Alexeyeva N, Tammeveski K, Kozlova J, Matisen L, Sammelselg V, Gulo’n JS, Feliu JM. Effect of purification of carbon nanotubes on their electrocatalytic properties for oxygen reduction in acid solution. Carbon 49(12) (2011) 4031-4039.
5. Maciejewska BM, Jasiurkowska DM, Vasylenko AI, Kozioł KK, Jurga S. Experimental and theoretical studies on the mechanism for chemical oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes. RSC Advances 4(55) (2014) 28826-28831.
6. MacKenzie K, Dunens O, Harris AT. A review of carbon nanotube purification by microwave assisted acid digestion. Separation and Purification Technology 66(2) (2009) 209-222.
7. Pumera M, Šmíd B, Veltruská K. Influence of nitric acid treatment of carbon nanotubes on their physico-chemical properties. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 9(4) (2009) 2671-2676.
8. Shen L, Liu M. A New Purification Way for Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes. In Applied Mechanics and Materials (Trans Tech Publications) 457 (2014) 240-243.
9. Pillai SK, Ray SS, Moodley M. Purification of multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Journal of nanoscience and nanotechnology, 8(12) (2008) 6187-6207.
10. Chiang IW, Brinson BE, Huang AY, Willis PA, Bronikowski MJ, Margrave JL, Smalley RE, Hauge RH. Purification and characterization of single-wall carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) obtained from the gas-phase decomposition of CO (HiPco process). The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 105(35) (2001) 8297-8301.
11. Yudianti R, Onggo H, Saito Y, Iwata T, Azuma JI. Analysis of functional group sited on multi-wall carbon nanotube surface. The Open Materials Science Journal 5(1) (2011).
12. Hu H, Zhao B, Itkis ME, Haddon RC. Nitric acid purification of single-walled carbon nanotubes. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 107(50) (2003) 13838-13842.
13. Lee GW, Kim J, Yoon J, Bae J S, Shin BC, Kim IS, Oh Weontae, Ree M. Structural characterization of carboxylated multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Thin Solid Films, 516(17) (2008) 5781-5784.
14. Turgunov MA, Oh JO, Yoon SH. Surface modification of multiwall carbon nanotubes by sulfuric acid and nitric acid. Materials 64 (2014) 22-25.
15. Le TMH. Characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes functionalized by a mixture of HNO3/H2SO4. Diamond and Related Materials 89 (2018) 43-51.
16. Yang K, Xing B. Adsorption of fulvic acid by carbon nanotubes from water. Environmental Pollution 157(4) (2009) 1095-1100.
17. Pan B, Xing B. Adsorption mechanisms of organic chemicals on carbon nanotubes. Environmental Science & Technology 42(24) (2008) 9005-9013.
18. Sheng G, Li J, Shao D, Hu J, Chen C, Chen Y, Wang X. Adsorption of copper (II) on multi-walled carbon nanotubes in the absence and presence of humic or fulvic acids. Journal of Hazardous Materials 178(1-3) (2010) 333-340.
19. Li S, Li Z, Ke B, He Z, Cui Y, Pan Z, Li D, Su J, Lai C, Su J. Magnetic multi-walled carbon nanotubes modified with polyaluminium chloride for removal of humic acid from aqueous solution. Journal of Molecular Liquids 279 (2019) 241-250.
20. Liesivuori J, Savolainen AH. Methanol and formic acid toxicity: biochemical mechanisms. Pharmacology & Toxicology 69(3) (1991) 157-163.
21. Kudo N, Kawashima Y. Toxicity and toxic-kinetics of perfluorooctanoic acid in humans and animals. The Journal of Toxicological Sciences 28(2) (2003) 49-57.
22. Misra A, Tyagi PK, Rai P, Misra DS. FTIR Spectroscopy of multi-walled carbon nanotubes: a Simple approach to study the nitrogen doping. Journal of nanoscience and nanotechnology 7(6) (2007) 1820-1823.
23. Perez J, Velasco S, White JA, Hernández AC. Infrared spectra of HCl, HBr and HI dissolved in liquid xenon. Journal of Molecular Liquids 45(1-2) (1990) 71-76.
24. Lehman JH, Terrones M, Mansfield E, Hurst KE, Meunier V. Evaluating the characteristics of multiwall carbon nanotubes. Carbon 49(8) (2011) 2581-2602.
25. Robert MS, Francis XW, David JK. Spectrometric identification of organic compounds. seventh ed. John wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, (106) 2005.
26. Antunes EF, Lobo AO, Corat EJ, Airoldi VJT, Martin AA, Veríssimo C. Comparative study of first-and second-order Raman spectra of MWCNT at visible and infrared laser excitation. Carbon 44(11) (2006) 2202-2211.
27. Akbaba U, Kasapoğlu AE, Gür E. Gamma and neutron irradiation effects on multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Diamond and Related Materials 87 (2018) 242-247.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.