Investigation of Antibacterial and Cytotoxic Properties of Mix Ligand Complex of Zinc 2-Fluorobenzoate with Nicotinamide
In this study, antibacterial properties of the previously synthesized zinc 2-f luorobenzo-ate with nicotinamide complex at 1.17; 2.33; 4.67; 9.34 and 18.67 mM concentrations was investigated using by agar well diffusion method against Bacillus subtilis, Psedomonasa eruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Bacillus cereus and Klebsiella pneumoniae bacterias. The MTT method was used to determine the cytotoxic properties of the complex on human peripheral blood cells at the same concentrations. According to the results of the antibacterial study, it was determined that the complex showed a good antibacterial effect on all bacteria at 18.67 and 9.34 mM concentrations. The complex exhibits to have a sup-pressive effect only on S. aureus bacteria at a concentration of 2.33 mM. It was observed that the complex was antibacterial on all bacteria except B. cereus and E. coli at a concentra-tion of 4.67 mM. The complex was found to have no growth inhibiting effect on any bac-teria at a concentration of 1.17 mM. The cytotoxicity of the complex was investigated by MTT test method and it was determined that the cell viability decreased due to increasing concentration according to the test results. Cell viability at 1.17; 2.33; 4.67; 9.34 and 18.67 mM was determined to be 86.20%, 86.05%, 72.87%, 64.77% and 6.42%, respectively.
Zinc complexes, Antibacterial activity, MTT, Cytotoxicity, Antibiotics.
2. Teo P, Hor TSA. Spacer directed metallo-supramolecular assemblies of pyridine carboxylates. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 255(1–2) (2011) 273–289.
3. Gündüz T. Koordinasyon Kimyası, third ed. Gazi Kitabevi, Ankara, 2005.
4. Yamada K, Yagishita S, Tanaka H, Tohyama K, Adachi K, Kaizaki S, Kumagai H, Inoue K, Kitaura R, Chang HC, Kitagawa S, Kawata S. Metal-Complex Assemblies Constructed from the Flexible Hinge-Like Ligand H2bhnq: Structural Versatility and Dynamic Behavior in the Solid State. Chemistry - A European Journal 10(11) (2004) 2647–2660.
5. Weiss RB, Christian MC. New cisplatin analogues in development. Drugs 46(3) (1993) 360–377.
6. Sathiyaraj S, Sampath K, Butcher RJ, Pallepogu R, Jayabalakrishnan C. Designing, structural elucidation, comparison of DNA binding, cleavage, radical scavenging activity and anticancer activity of copper(I) complex with 5-dimethyl-2-phenyl-4-[(pyridin-2-ylmethylene)-amino]-1,2-dihydro-pyrazol-3-one Schiff base ligand. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 64 (2013) 81–89.
7. Uivarosi V. Metal Complexes of Quinolone Antibiotics and Their Applications: An Update. Molecules 18(9) (2013) 11153–11197.
8. Rizzotto M. A search for antibacterial agents, in: Bobbarala V. (Ed.). A search for antibacterial agents. InTech., Crotia, pp. 73-88, 2012.
9. Dimiza F, Papadopoulos AN, Tangoulis V, Psycharis V, Raptopoulou CP, Kessissoglou DP, Psomas G. Biological evaluation of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-cobalt(ii) complexes. Dalton Transactions 39(19) (2010) 4517.
10. Dimiza F, Papadopoulos AN, Tangoulis V, Psycharis V, Raptopoulou CP, Kessissoglou DP, Psomas G. Biological evaluation of cobalt(II) complexes with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug naproxen. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 107(1) (2012) 54–64.
11. Tsiliou S, Kefala LA, Perdih F, Turel I, Kessissoglou DP, Psomas G. Cobalt(II) complexes with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug tolfenamic acid: Structure and biological evaluation. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 48 (2012) 132–142.
12. Zampakou M, Rizeq N, Tangoulis V, Papadopoulos AN, Perdih F, Turel I, Psomas G. Manganese(II) Complexes with the Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Tolfenamic Acid: Structure and Biological Perspectives. Inorganic Chemistry 53(4) (2014) 2040–2052.
13. Dimiza F, Fountoulaki S, Papadopoulos AN, Kontogiorgis CA, Tangoulis V, Raptopoulou CP, Psycharis V, Terzis A, Kessissoglou DP, Psomas G. Non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug–copper(ii) complexes: Structure and biological perspectives. Dalton Transactions 40(34) (2011) 8555-8568.
14. Fountoulaki S, Perdih F, Turel I, Kessissoglou DP, Psomas G. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug diflunisal interacting with Cu(II). Structure and biological features. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 105(12) (2011) 1645–1655.
15. Tolia C, Papadopoulos AN, Raptopoulou CP, Psycharis V, Garino C, Salassa L, Psomas G. Copper(II) interacting with the non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug flufenamic acid: Structure, antioxidant activity and binding to DNA and albumins. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 123 (2013) 53–65.
16. Darawsheh M, Abu Ali H, Abuhijleh AL, Rappocciolo E, Akkawi M, Jaber S, Maloul S, Hussein Y. New mixed ligand zinc(II) complexes based on the antiepileptic drug sodium valproate and bioactive nitrogen-donor ligands. Synthesis, structure and biological properties. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 82 (2014) 152–163.
17. Abu Ali H, Darawsheh MD, Rappocciolo E. Synthesis, crystal structure, spectroscopic and biological properties of mixed ligand complexes of zinc(II) valproate with 1,10-phenanthroline and 2-aminomethylpyridine. Polyhedron 61 (2013) 235–241.
18. Abu Ali H, Fares H, Darawsheh M, Rappocciolo E, Akkawi M, Jaber S. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of new mixed ligand complexes of Zn(II) naproxen with nitrogen based ligands. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 89 (2015) 67–76.
19. Abu Ali H, Omar SN, Darawsheh MD, Fares H. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of zinc(II) ibuprofen complexes with nitrogen-based ligands. Journal of Coordination Chemistry 69(6) (2016) 1110–1122.
20. Özbek FE. 2-Halojenobenzoat Komplekslerinin Sentezi ve Özellikleri. Thesis of Ph.D. Graduate School of Applied and Natural Sciences, Kafkas University (2011) 222 pages.
21. Al-Majidi SMH. Synthesis of some new 4-oxo-thiazolidines, tetrazole and triazole derived from 2-SH-benzothiazole and antimicrobial screening of some synthesized. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society 18(6) (2014) 893–901.
22. Bauer AW, Kirby WMM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing by a Standardized Single Disk Method. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 45 (1966) 493–496.
23. Chohan ZH, Supuran CT. Organometallic compounds with biologically active molecules:in vitro antibacterial and antifungal activity of some 1,1′-(dicarbohydrazono) ferrocenes and their cobalt(II), copper(II), nickel(II) and zinc(II) complexes. Applied Organometallic Chemistry 19(12) (2005) 1207–1214.
24. Omar SN, Abu Ali H. New complexes of Zn(II) with the anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drug, ibuprofen and nitrogen donor ligands. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity. Journal of Coordination Chemistry 70(14) (2017) 2436–2452.
25. Chiniforoshan H, Tabrizi L, Hadizade M, Sabzalian MR, Chermahini AN, Rezapour M. Anti-inflammatory drugs interacting with Zn (II) metal ion based on thiocyanate and azide ligands: Synthesis, spectroscopic studies, DFT calculations and antibacterial assays. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 128 (2014) 183–190.
26. Islas MS, Martínez Medina JJ, Piro OE, Echeverría GA, Ferrer EG, Williams PAM. Comparisons of the spectroscopic and microbiological activities among coumarin-3-carboxylate, o-phenanthroline and zinc(II) complexes. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 198 (2018) 212–221.
27. Košická P, Győryová K, Smolko L, Gyepes R, Hudecová D. Synthesis, crystal structures, spectral, thermal and antimicrobial properties of new Zn(II) 5-iodo- and 5-bromosalicylates. Journal of Molecular Structure 1155 (2018) 232–238.
28. Krajníková A, Győryová K, Hudecová D, Kovářová J, Vargová Z. Thermal decomposition and antimicrobial activity of zinc(II) 2-bromobenzoates with organic ligands. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 105(2) (2011) 451–460.
29. Chooset S, Kantacha A, Chainok K, Wongnawa S. Synthesis, crystal structure, luminescent properties and antibacterial activities of zinc complexes with bipyridyl and salicylate ligands. Inorganica Chimica Acta 471 (2018) 493–501.
30. Zhu M, Zhao H, Peng T, Su J, Meng B, Qi Z, Jia B, Feng Y, Gao E. Structure and cytotoxicity of zinc (II) and cobalt (II) complexes based on 1,3,5-tris(1-imidazolyl) benzene: DNA Binding; Fluorescence; anticancer; Apoptosis; Molecular docking. Applied Organometallic Chemistry 33(3) (2019) e4734.
31. Niu MJ, Li Z, Chang GL, Kong XJ, Hong M, Zhang Q. Crystal Structure, Cytotoxicity and Interaction with DNA of Zinc (II) Complexes with o-Vanillin Schiff Base Ligands. PLOS ONE 10(6) (2015) e0130922.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.