Decoupled Cascaded PID Control of an Aerial Manipulation System
This paper presents the control of an aerial manipulation system with a quadrotor and a 2-DOF robotic arm. Firstly, the kinematic model of the combined system and the Denavit-Hartenberg parameters of the serial robotic arm are obtained. Then, to derive the dynamics of the system, the quadrotor and the 2-DOF robotic arm are modeled as a combined system. The Lagrange-d'Alembert formulation is used to obtain the equation of motion of the combined system. Later, decoupled controllers are developed for the general-ized coordinates. Decoupled cascaded PID controllers are designed for trajectory tracking of the combined system. Proposed control algorithms are implemented in the MATLAB/Simulink environment and tested using the highly nonlinear system model in simulation. The robustness of the controllers is checked by applying disturbance forces from different directions at the tip point of the 2-DOF robotic arm. The proposed control algorithms performed satisfactorily and showed very low absolute errors.
Aerial manipulation, Robotics, Quadrotor, PID control.
2. Das, Abhijit, Kamesh Subbarao, and Frank Lewis. Dynamic inversion with zero-dynamics stabilisation for quadrotor
control. IET Control Theory and Applications 3.3 (2009) 303-314.
3. Sadr, Sara, S. Ali A. Moosavian, and Payam Zarafshan. Dynamics modeling and control of a quadrotor with swing
load. Journal of Robotics 2014 (2014) 1-12.
4. Mahony, Robert, Vijay Kumar, and Peter Corke. Multirotor aerial vehicles: Modeling, estimation, and control of
quadrotor. IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine 19.3 (2012) 20-32.
5. Goodarzi FA, Lee D, Lee T. Geometric stabilization of a quadrotor UAV with a payload connected by flexible cable.
In 2014 American Control Conference, pp. 4925-4930, 2014.
6. Sreenath K, Kumar V. Dynamics, control and planning for cooperative manipulation of payloads suspended by
cables from multiple quadrotor robots. In Robotics: Science and Systems IX, 2013.
7. Alothman, Y., Guo, M., & Gu, D. Using iterative LQR to control two quadrotors transporting a cable-suspended
load. IFAC-PapersOnLine 50.1 (2017) 4324-4329.
8. Kim S, Choi S, Kim HJ. Aerial manipulation using a quadrotor with a two DOF robotic arm. In 2013 IEEE/RSJ
International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4990-4995. 2013.
9. Caccavale, F., Giglio, G., Muscio, G., & Pierri, F. Adaptive control for UAVs equipped with a robotic arm. IFAC
Proceedings Volumes 47.3 (2014) 11049-11054.
10. Jimenez-Cano A, Martin J, Heredia G, Ollero A, Cano R. Control of an aerial robot with multi-link arm for assembly
tasks. In 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4916-4921, 2013.
11. Danko TW, Chaney KP, Oh PY. A parallel manipulator for mobile manipulating UAVs. In 2015 IEEE International
Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA), pp. 1-6, 2015.
12. Orsag M, Korpela C, Bogdan S, Oh P. Lyapunov based model reference adaptive control for aerial manipulation. In
2013 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), pp. 966-973, 2013.
13. Khalifa A, Fanni M. A new quadrotor manipulation system: Modeling and point-to-point task space control.
International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems 15.3 (2017) 1434–46.
14. Giglio G, Pierri F. Selective compliance control for an unmanned aerial vehicle with a robotic arm. In 22nd
Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, pp. 1190-1195, 2014.
15. Mello LS, Raffo GV, Adorno BV. Robust whole-body control of an unmanned aerial manipulator. In 2016 European Control Conference (ECC), pp. 702-707, 2016.
16. Garimella G, Kobilarov M. Towards model-predictive control for aerial pick-and-place. In 2015 IEEE International
Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4692-4697, 2015.
17. Bulut, N., Turgut, A. E., & Arıkan, K. B. (2019). Computed Torque Control of an Aerial Manipulation System with a Quadrotor and a 2-DOF Robotic Arm. In 2019 International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), 2019.
18. Ozgoren, M. K. Lecture Notes for ME 522 (Principles of Robotics), Department of Mechanical Engineering, METU, Ankara, 2017.
19. Siciliano B, Sciavicco L, Villani L, Oriolo G. Robotics: Modelling, planning and control, Springer, London, 2010.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All the intellectual property rights of the papers accepted for the publication belong to the Hittite Journal of Science & Engineering.